Wildlife and nature photography by native Vermonter Heather Forcier. Please also visit my website http://www.heatherforcier.com/

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Backyard Bird Feeders Update April 2011

This spring I've put bird a variety of bird feeders out in the yard.  It's a heavily wooded area with a small amount of open lawn space and I've been very interested to see what might come in.

The Black-capped Chickadees were first, bold little birds that somehow knew there was food around.  A Tufted Titmouse pair is a regular at one particular feeder.  More recently there have been a good number of Dark-eyed Juncos (slate colored) taking over the yard.  They don't seem too concerned about me, have continued their feeding even when I am only feet away from them. 

Blue Jays and Cardinals have also been by, as have been a Red-breasted Nuthatch and a White-breasted Nuthatch.  There have been three Mourning Doves.

A female Sharp-shinned Hawk swooped in one afternoon and took one of the birds off a feeder.  I know hawks need to eat too but I resituated the feeders for a bit more cover.

In addition to the bird visitors there has been Gray Squirrel and Red Squirrel, raccoon that pulled the feeder hanging off the deck right up to it, and an occasional White-tailed Deer that stops by to see what feed might have been spilled onto the ground.

The light in the yard isn't great for photos but I happened to have the camera out the other day and got the Red Squirrel, who was very upset that I was interrupting its meal time.  Today it appeared much less worried about me and stayed put as I walked by.



I have been scouting the woods nearby and finally saw the thrush I've been hearing.  I wasn't able to get close but I believe it was Hermit Thrush.  Last summer they came into the yard on rainy days, I hope they come back again this year!

Looking forward to seeing what other feathered visitors I get.

No comments: