Wildlife and nature photography by native Vermonter Heather Forcier. Please also visit my website http://www.heatherforcier.com/

Sunday, April 2, 2006

Texas Trip Report April 2006

TEXAS TRIP REPORT
March 17 to April 2, 2006
Text and images copyright Heather Forcier, all rights reserved

I have visited Texas each spring the past three years and returned again this year to focus mostly on resident birds. Flying into IAH, Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston, my trip began with a seven-hour drive to the Lower Rio Grande Valley.


This Olive Sparrow was one of the first birds I photographed on the 2006 trip.


South Texas
Most of the land in Texas is privately owned, but a few ranches have allowed access for nature photographers, even setting up photo blinds and regularly maintaining small pools of water as well as feeders to support local and migratory wildlife. This creates amazing opportunities for photographers.

Red-winged Blackbirds were regulars at the Roma feeders. I caught this one doing a split between the branches.
Upon my arrival in mid-March, South Texas was suffering a significant drought; the last rain on record occurred the previous October. Ranch roads were extremely dusty to travel and even a modest breeze carried dust and dirt with it, a source of frustration for my eyes and camera equipment. But this meant wildlife would be that much more attracted to the water holes, with better potential for photography at the setups.


This Golden-fronted Woodpecker was photographed on Prickly Pear Cactus - it had just dipped its bill into an open flower. It has always amazed me that birds can perch unharmed on the thorny Texas plant life. While perhaps not evident in a photo at this small web size, the cactus was showing signs of the drought: the pads were withered and wrinkled.

My first ranch visit was the Ramirez Ranch in Roma, Texas, one of my personal favorite destinations. The water and feed has been put out regularly for a long time and is a big draw for area birds. Species of note included Green Jay, Northern Cardinal, Northern Mockingbird, Curve-billed and Long-billed Thrasher, Cactus Wren, Pyrrhuloxia, Olive Sparrow, Lark Sparrow, Couch’s Kingbird, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Brown-headed Cowbird, Red-winged Blackbird, Golden-fronted Woodpecker, Vermillion Flycatcher, Northern Bobwhite, Plain Chachalaca, Great Kiskadee, White-tipped Dove, Black-crested Titmouse, Harris’s Hawk, Crested Caracara, and Turkey Vulture. A highlight of the visit for me was capturing images of Audubon’s Oriole, a gorgeous bird that has eluded me for the past few years. I saw and photographed a Green-tailed Towhee for the first time, a bird which winters in the area but typically departs before my usual spring visit. A surprise visit from a Loggerhead Shrike at the water hole was also most welcomed.

I was delighted to find a Vermillion Flycatcher pair not far from where they have nested in previous years, and the color of the male was stunning!
At Roma I had the pleasure to work with Alan Murphy, a fellow bird photographer I greatly admire and a personal friend. A long-time birder, Alan helped me in Roma to understand bird behavior better and realistically visualize end results for my photos.

Because I traveled by air to arrive in Texas, it was impractical to take an Ameristep Outhouse or Doghouse blind with me. I did, however, take a Kwik Camo throw blind, which I used frequently throughout the trip. The summer weight version is a light fabric that allows air circulation while under the blind. I also like it a lot because I can still see around me, not just through the mesh opening over the lens, although another photographer commented he could not see me through the fabric, only the mesh.

The Kwik Camo has a Velcro slot on top for the flash brackets (shown here) and small openings on either side for easy access outside of the blind (you can see the small opening all the way to the left slightly lower than the lens).

The throw blind packs easily and was lightweight enough to sit in in the Texas heat. I also had my Walkstool Comfort 45 with me, which I used instead of the chairs available in the blinds. Overall it was a really good set up and the camouflage helped me photograph some birds that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

Lens and Land: Dos Venadas Ranch

From Roma I proceeded to my first ranch in the Lens and Land cooperative group set up for photography, Dos Venadas. The weather took a turn for the worst – dark overcast skies for much of the days I was there and even rain overnight, but in the company of friends Kristi Graham, Scott Elowitz, and Steve Bentsen, the ranch owner, it was still a great deal of fun.
Species of note included Rio Grande variety of Eastern Screech Owl, Scaled Quail, Northern Bobwhite, Black-throated Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, Pyrrhuloxia, Northern Mockingbird, more of the Green-tailed Towhee, Golden-fronted Woodpecker, White-tailed Deer, Desert Cottontail, Javalina, Harris’s Hawk, Crested Caracara, Great Kiskadee, White-tipped Dove. The highlight at this ranch for me was photographing a Louisiana Waterthrush that worked its way around a small pool of water at the blind for literally an hour and a half, seemingly oblivious of the camera shutters and often within our minimum focus distance.

Although the light and weather didn’t cooperate, I like the ranch a great deal. The diversity of plant and bird life on this relatively small property is amazing. 

Dos Venadas has a number of resident Eastern Screech Owls on the property. The Rio Grande variety is noticeably smaller than the Eastern Screech Owls even as close as Houston.

Lens and Land: Las Colmenas de los Cerritos

Onto my second Lens and Land ranch I visited with Lowry and Jessica McAllen at Las Colmenas de los Cerritos. Lowry pays special attention to details such as light angles, focal lengths, and distant backgrounds – those things that photographers need to concern themselves with. He has even set up perches at the blinds that can be easily moved for the opposite time of year for appropriate sun angle at that time.


Crested Caracara pair at the Las Colmenas raptor blind.

Looking back, it’s hard to believe I have spent just over two days at this ranch in the last year – in such a short time it was extremely productive for me. Notable species this year were Northern Cardinal, Pyrrhuloxia, Golden-fronted Woodpecker, Green Jay, Inca Dove, Common Ground Dove, White-tipped Dove, Northern Mockingbird, Eastern Meadowlark, Great Kiskadee, Black-crested Titmouse, Rio Grande variety of Wild Turkey, and after two years I finally got my first decent photos of Black-throated Sparrow. The hawk blind was very productive for Harris’s Hawk and Crested Caracara and was so amazing I spent two mornings in a row at it.

Lens and Land: El Tecolote Ranch

Unfortunately the weather again took a turn for the worst and it was hard to work at several of the ranches, including El Tecolote. But this ranch has a lot to offer; of interest to me was the Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl, which nests on the property. Bob Simpson, who works with the ranch, was kind enough to take me out to the area where they might be spotted and not only did I get to hear their wonderful call, but I got a few glimpses at a male and a female. I was even able to photograph one of them briefly during a short break in the clouds.

Other species at this ranch included Rio Grande variety of Wild Turkey, Eastern Bluebird, Great Kiskadee, Crested Caracara, Harris’s Hawk, and of course the South Texas regulars of Northern Cardinal, Pyrrhuloxia, Green Jay, Northern Mockingbird.

Thanks to the assistance of Bob Simpson we were able to locate and view the Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl. The bird in this photo is calling.

Lens and Land: Weaver Ranch

Again, unforgiving weather conditions made photography at this ranch a bit difficult, but it does have a lot to offer. Its large raptor blind had Black and Turkey Vulture, Harris’s Hawk, and Crested Caracara. The feeders around the ranch house are supposed to have Painted and Indigo Buntings as regular visitors during summer, as well as Blue Grossbeak.

My friend Brendan Quigley is photographing at the Weaver Ranch for the 2006 Valley Land Fund contest.

Lens and Land: Martin Ranches - Homestead and Javalina

John and Audrey Martin are a big part of the Lens and Land cooperative and have two properties of their own, The Homestead and The Javalina. There was plenty of activity at both properties: notable species at The Homestead included Northern Cardinal, Pyrrhuloxia, Northern Mockingbird, Green Jay, Olive Sparrow, Lincoln's Sparrow, Great Kiskadee, Plain Chachalaca. My blind at The Javalina was very active with Northern Cardinal, Pyrrhuloxia, Northern Bobwhite, Scaled Quail, Curve-billed and Long-billed Thrasher.

Scaled Quail close up.
High Island, Texas Gulf Coast

The last leg of my Texas trip was at High Island on the coast. This area near the Louisiana border was affected by last year’s storms, most evident at the bird rookery at Smith Oaks. While perhaps not good for the birds, the vegetation had been thinned out making photography of isolated birds and nests a bit easier. One of my priorities at High Island was to work with Roseate Spoonbills, which I did. I also saw and photographed Neotropic Cormorant for the first time. Other species included Double-crested Cormorant, Great Egret, Snowy Egret. I also had the pleasure of meeting NatureScapes.Net member Steve Baranoff here.


I usually see Roseate Spoonbills in the distance and haven't had much luck photographing
them, but at the Smith Oaks rookery I caught this one as it took flight.

Although overall I spent less than two hours at Smith Oaks, the activity was incredible. In certain conditions during migration, the bushes at Smith Oaks can be filled with a variety of migrants. Last year I visited several weeks later and saw various buntings, tanagers, grossbeaks, and more.

My accommodations were at the Gulfway Motel at High Island, a family-owned establishment with warm hospitality. I highly recommend their restaurant for breakfast; if you do stop by, be sure to tell Millie and Becky that Heather says "hi." The biscuits and gravy are divine.

Bolivar Flats, Texas Gulf Coast

I photographed at Bolivar with my friends Kristi Graham and Wayne Nicholas, where we went "mud crawling" on the shoreline for birds. Upon our arrival I announced that my priority was American Avocets, and I was thrilled to see a group of five of these birds feeding near the shoreline. Imagine my surprise and delight when we found a much larger flock further down the shore.


Large group of American Avocets in flight at Bolivar Flats, Texas.

There were plenty of other shorebirds there as well. I tried to concentrate on species I was particularly interested in, which included Long-billed Curlew (at one point I had four in front of me at the same time), a Reddish Egret doing its feeding "dance," and a Ruddy Turnstone that boldly walked right up to me. There was a good variety of terns, including Least Tern, Sandwich Tern, and Caspian Tern.

Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge

Anahuac NWR has a small network of dirt roads leading through the refuge, and each time you drive through there's something different to see. I was thrilled to see numerous Sora out in the open feeding during this visit. I also spotted King Rail and heard them at various places in the refuge. Lots of Northern Harriers hunted over the marshlands; other raptors included Red-tailed Hawk and exciting views of a White-tailed Kite hunting the fields.


White-tailed Kite hunting at Anahuac NWR.

With lots of bird activity about, I don't often find my lens pointed at other wildlife subjects but I found the patterns in the water around this alligator fascinating. The alligator was patient as I situated the car for just the right angle. The reeds were reflected as straight lines but by slowing the shutter speed the movement of the water obscured the defined patterns into something more abstract.



Other species of note included Black-necked Stilt, White Ibis, Glossy Ibis, American and Least Bittern, Red-winged Blackbird, Barn Swallow, Common Yellowthroat, Great-tailed Grackle.


I am not entirely certain of the identification on this Grackle but assume based on location
and marks it is a Great-tailed Grackle. (Input welcomed.) It was photographed in a controlled
burn area and I love the colors exhibited in the background in a diagonal pattern.

I photographed at Anahuac my last morning then headed to Houston for my flight home to Vermont. Despite several days of rain and some significant winds, it was a productive and enjoyable trip.



Black-necked Stilts, Anahuac NWR


No comments: